Partager sur

« Fil vert » path

  1. Accueil
  2. « Fil vert » path


Welcome to the Lion d'Angers / Bienvenue au Lion d'Angers

The town of Le Lion d’Angers invites you to discover its history and life in the past through two routes in the towns of Le Lion d’Angers and Andigné. The old postcards will plunge you into the past and the memories of the inhabitants. Enjoy your visit.

In Gallo-Roman times (1st century), a Roman legion settled on the banks of the Oudon. The name of Le Lion d’Angers comes from the word « legion »!

The square, the town hall and the public school / La place, la mairie et l'école publique

A town hall- school

The imposing building of the town hall was built in the 1850s. In these buildings were located the boys’ school, the asylum (nursery school), the town hall, the justice of the peace and the telegraph office. Before 1859, the boys’ school and the town hall were located in the house of Deslandes, bailiff and notary clerk of Le Lion.

The boys school

« In this old photo, you can see the students coming out of the classroom. There were about 110 pupils in this 19th century school. The girls were about twenty and were housed in a house in the bourd. The town hall was located in the middle, the boys’ school on the left, and the nursery school on the right. The courtyard and the playground were located behind (= square of the twin towns). »

The square (a corner of the town hall square)

« This corner of the town hall square, which leads to the main church street, may have changed since the beginning of the century. You can easily recognize the buildings. On the house on the corner, an advertisement for Dubonnet (a brand of alcoholic drink) painted directly on the wall is still clearly visible. If you take a walk through the village, you will see traces of these old advertisements. »

The wash boats / Les bâteaux-lavoirs

Lift the pictures to discover the wash boats!

The wash boats

« Washing boats appeared along the rivers in the early 19th century. On the Maine, there were 18 « laundresses’ boats » in 1880 and 32 on the eve of the First World War. With the construction of municipal laundries, their number diminished until they disappeared after the Second World War. »

Three laundries

Quai d’Anjou on the Oudon

« There were up to three wash boats in the Lion d’Angers! Two on the Quai d’Anjou and one upstream from the bridge, on the Quai de Bretagne. They were each 25 metres long and 5 metres wide, and allowed six to eight washerwomen to work at the same time thanks to three wood-fired boilers. »

The washerwomen

Laundresses on the quay

« All the women came to the boats to clean the family’s laundry. Some were professionals and worked for large families or companies. The work of the washerwomen was very hard. For some of the big washes (sheets, etc…), they had to help each other. »

A place of sociability

Washing boat in front of the Lion Church

« The washboats were a place for women to get together and work while chatting. The work was less difficult. « I can still hear the clacking of the beater and the bursts of women’s voices and laughter, » said a neighbour at the beginning of the century. »

The port of Anjou / Le port d'Anjou

The wedges

Loading a boat on the Anjou quay

« On the Quai d’Anjou, there were two opposite slipways, built with the quays. The holds of the Lion d’Angers are called « à abreuvoir »: dating from the 18th century, they are regular slopes and paved. They were enlarged in the 19th century in order to store a maximum amount of goods. »

The goods

Loading goods onto a barge

« A great many barges passed through the Lion d’Angers. On the Quai d’Anjou, there used to be three storage areas and some forty categories of goods were delivered: firewood and timber, straw, fodder, tufa, slate, Loire sand, etc. »

The taxes

View from the quay

« Each merchandise unloaded on the quays of the Lion d’Angers was taxed by the commune. For example, in 1894, unloading an empty barrel cost 0.05 francs and a cubic metre of cut stone cost 0.50 francs. »

The beak’s career

Gabare at the bec d’Oudon

« The heaviest materials were delivered to the Anjou quay. The stones from the quarry located at the Bec d’Oudon (confluence of the Mayenne and the Oudon) were used for the construction of the church. »

Horse racing / Les courses hippiques

L’isle-Briand, a 187-hectare departmental park, is bordered by the Oudon and Mayenne rivers. It is home to the Lion d’Angers racecourse, which dates back to the 19th century!

For several decades, two racing societies co-existed: the Société des Courses du Lion d’Angers, founded in 1890, and the Société Hippique Lionnaise created in 1922.

A local tradition

Two horse-riding societies

At the end of the 19th century, the local aristocracy organised the first trotting and gallop races. Later, the festival committee created its own horse-racing society, which this time brought together craftsmen, shopkeepers and farmers. When they met at the market, they raced each other in a cariole!

The merger

In 1945, the two societies merged and the Lion d’Angers racecourse was created on the Isle-Briand, on the banks of the Odon. Since then, many races with a European reputation, such as the Cristal Cup, have been held at the Lion d’Angers. International recognition in eventing is noted with the Mondial du Lion, in October.

The travellers' hotel / L'hôtel des voyageurs

This imposing building was built at the same time as the quays of Anjou and Brittany in the mid-19th century. Observe its decoration and its eleven windows in classical style: flat fluted columns, Corinthian capitals….

The ports / Les ports

The Oudon river runs for about a hundred kilometres before flowing into the Mayenne, at the bec d’Oudon, a few kilometres from here. Thanks to three locks, boats could travel on the Oudon between Segré and the Mayenne river.

Two ports allowed goods to be delivered to the Lion d’Angers.

Two ports and a bridge

1 Port Thibault

Upstream of the bridge, there was the Thibault port. The bargemen brought cereals there on « gabarres »: large flat-bottomed boats used to transport goods.

2 The port of Anjou

Downstream, you can find the port of Anjou. The bargemen brought heavy materials such as sand from the Loire and stones from the quarry at the mouth of the river Oudon. There was also a shipwright.

Port Thibault / Le port Thibault

The Quai de Bretagne

View from the main street

Port Thibaut was located upstream from the bridge, on the Quai de Bretagne.

On this photo, you can see the travellers’ hotel, a cart, walkers, a wash boat…. Imagine all the activity there was on this quay!

The futreaux

Port Thibault

In this photo of Port Thibault, you can see a wash boat, a gabarre at the bottom of the small boats used locally: fûtreaux.

These small barges were about ten metres long and were sometimes equipped with a square sail.

The barges

View of the bridge

« The gabares, large flat-bottomed boats used to transport goods, had difficulty passing under the Lion d’Angers bridge.

At the end of the 19th century, thanks to a petition, the bridge was raised so that they could pass under it in winter, when the water level was low ».

The banks of the Oudon

View from the meadows of the rock

One could meet people on the banks of the river: walkers, fishermen and especially the hauliers. The latter made it possible to haul the barges along the rivers on the towpaths, with the help of ropes and animal power (oxen or horses).

Chamaillard Street / La rue Chamaillard

Originally, this street allowing access to the quay was called rue Maillard. The origin of this name change is unknown. It is one of the oldest streets in Le Lion d’Angers.

The Candaise Street / La rue Candaise

This street is so called because the road to Candé (35 km from Le Lion) used to start here. At number 26 was the Hôtel de la Boule d’Or: if you look closely, you can still see the inscription on the wall.

The Sainte Claire School / L'école Sainte-Claire

As early as 1837, a school run by the Sisters of Christian Instruction of St Gildas des Bois was founded in Le Lion d’Angers. The current buildings were constructed at the very beginning of the 20th century.

Memory of Le Lion d’Angers

In 1902, a nursery school, a girls’ primary school and a private boys’ primary school were set up in rue Candaise.

Until 1967, the classes were not mixed and there was a headmaster for the boys and a headmistress for the girls.

1 The classroom

In the first half of the 20th century, classrooms were heated with wood-burning stoves. The children had to fetch wood and tend the fire!

2 The curriculum

In addition to subjects that exist today, pupils had many practical tasks: replacing a fuse, caring for someone, gardening, cooking, sewing, tinkering, etc. ….

There was no canteen in the school. If the children lived too far away, they ate a snack outside or in the classroom!

Children often worked with their parents on the farm! They came on foot or by bike and sometimes arrived late. In summer and winter, the schoolchildren walked several kilometres before settling down behind their wooden desks.

One day, a pupil arrived late because « I had to clean the straw from the animals and stop the pigs!

La sawmill-saboterie Cochard / La scierie - Saboterie Cochard

Today, only a piece of the brick chimney of the only usinge in Le Lion d’Angers remains. The clog factory, founded in the 1970s, employed up to 25 men. It was prosperous and expanded to include building sites, woods and a sawmill.

The clog factory closed down in the second quarter of the 20th century due to competition from rubber. The sawmill remained in operation until the 1980s.

Avenue de la gare

Now known as Avenue des Tilleuls, Avenue de la Gare has been redesigned. Many houses were built here at the end of the 19th century, when the town expanded towards the periphery.

The railway line / La voie ferrée

The Lion d’Angers guardhouse was built in 1878, the year the Segré-Angers line was commissioned.

The 38 km long track was removed in 1955. The station building was destroyed three years later. Today, there is little trace of the train’s passage through Lion d’Angers.

2 The gatekeepers

They ensured the safety of the level crossings and lived in a small house at the level of the railway.

The station area / La quartier de la gare

Memory of Le Lion d’Angers

The gatekeeper

The gatekeeper lived in a small house near the intersection between the road and the railway. Often, this post was held by the wives of the railway workers. They kept watch day and night and reported all sorts of incidents: leaks, smoke, etc. They were responsible for manoeuvring the barriers every time a train passed. In the event of an accident on the track, they would give the alarm over several hundred metres, with the torch!

The hotel

The station hotel

During the most important horse races, a large special train brought visitors to the Lion d’Angers and the town came alive. In the 1920s, the town’s five hotels were filled. They were located in the main street, near the station or on the road to Angers: ideally situated for travellers! In this old photo, you can see the name of the owner: Houdebine. 

Avenue de la gare

Avenue des Tilleuls

The avenue de la gare has changed a lot since the station building no longer exists. You can still make out some of the houses and you can see a concrete barrier made of imitation wood, which was very popular at the end of the 19th century and is called « rockery » or « rustication ».

 The station

Train at the Lion d’Angers station

In each small station, there was a station master, the deputy station master and two agents who saw a few trains pass by each day. Steam locomotives were used and four people were needed to operate them: a mechanic, a driver, a conductor and a waggoner. To get back to Angers, the locomotives had a lot of difficulty climbing the slope of the « grosse pierre », and spewed a thick cloud of smoke!

Café de la gare

The building of the Café de la gare, on the route de Vern, is still easily recognisable today. Like the « new chalets » district, its architecture is reminiscent of holiday villas.

The new districts / Les nouveaux quartiers

Between the 1930s and 1960s, a subdivision of modest villas was built around the station. These houses, in the « villégiature » style, were inspired by chalets, which gave the district its name.

The hotels / Les hôtels

If you look closely at the old building of the Hôtel du Lion d’Or, the inscription is still clearly visible on the wall! The Hotel du Cheval Blanc was located very close by: at the top of the rue du Général Leclerc.

The main street / La grande rue

The rue du Général Leclerc was the main shopping street in Le Lion. Cafés, craftsmen, shopkeepers, villagers… this street was full of life!

Main street activities / Les activités de la grande rue

The bottom of the street

Main street taken from the bridge

The street starts at the end of the bridge over the river Oudon where the Hôtel des Voyageurs is located. At the beginning of the 20th century, there were three hotels in this street. At a time when journeys were very long, the Lion d’Angers was a stopping place to spend the night before heading back to Angers or Paris.

The cafés

Grande rue

This photo was taken at the corner of the Grande rue and the Rue Saint Gatien. The balcony is still there! You can see several cafés: the Café Gasnier and the Café d’Anjou face each other. There were sixteen cafés for just over 2000 inhabitants in 1922!

The shops

Saulou’s shop

There were many shops in the main street: chemist, baker, butcher, hairdresser, hardware store, bicycle salesman, cobbler, etc… you could find everything. In this photo, you can see the hat shop SAULOU, which is located at number 25 of the street.

The craftsmen

Intersection of the church square

In this photo, taken at the corner of the church square, a cart can be seen. Many craftsmen worked in Le Lion d’Angers and some of these trades have disappeared today! For example, there were blacksmiths, wheelwrights who made cart wheels, coopers for wooden barrels, tinsmiths for tin objects, saddlers who made harnesses, bags, straps and saddles etc…

The market street / La rue du marché

The Lion d’Angers market takes place in the rue du marché and on the place du Champ de Foire every Friday morning. There used to be animal fairs three times a year. In the background, the travellers’ storehouse in a 17th century house, one of the oldest in Le Lion!

The church / L'église

Look at the portal (=entrance) of the church: the ruffeau stones are linked by ochre-red joints which draw geometrical ornaments. It is quite rare to find this kind of decoration.

Religious life / La vie religieuse

Religious processions were great celebrations. In the past, they brought the whole population together in a festive atmosphere. The most important ones were the Feast of God and that of Joan of Arc. Floats, flowers, music… the whole town marched through the streets and around the church, which was built in the 11th century!

The church of Saint Martin de Vertou

1 The nave and transept were built in the 11th century in the Romanesque style. Originally part of a Benedictine monastery, the early church is very plain, with few openings and few decorations.

2 The neo-Gothic chancel dates from the end of the 19th century: note the rose windows and the very large openings.

The bell tower

During the night of 4 to 5 May 1918, lightning struck the church and caused a fire. It destroyed the spire of the church tower. The church remained without a bell tower for many years. The spire was rebuilt in 1997 to give the building its full splendour.

Welcome to Andigné / Bienvenue à Andigné

The town of Le Lion d’Angers offers you the opportunity to discover its history and life in the past through two routes, in the towns of Le Lion d’Angers and Andigné. The old postcards will plunge you into the past and the memories of the inhabitants. Enjoy your visit!

Andigné in the past / Andigné autrefois

The small town of Andigné, with a population of several hundred, merged with the commune of Le Lion d’Angers in 2016. It was once a village with many shops, a railway station, a castle and a port.

The village of yesterday / Le bourg d'antan

The main street

The road to Segré

On the present rue de la Libération were most of the craftsmen: blacksmith, baker, saddler, etc… On this photo you can see the café-tabac de la Boule d’Or and the saddler who worked with leather (harnesses, straps, bags…). The painted harnesses are drying on the easels in front of the Bourrelerie workshop.

The cafés

The village of Andigné

At the beginning of the 20th century, there were five cafés in the village of Andigné, at least two of which were on the road to Segré. They had a double function: the Planchenault café, situated at the corner of the rue de la Libération and the rue Saint-Aubin, recognisable by its balcony, was also a grocery shop. Others in the village were hairdressers, shoemakers and coopers.

The blacksmiths

Interior of a forge

Next to the café de la Boule d’Or was the Forge Thibault, recognisable in the past by a metal arbour topped by a weathervane representing a carriage pulling a plough. Another blacksmith, who was also a mechanic, was located closer to the church. The two craftsmen competed for customers. The blacksmiths were responsible for shoeing the horses and wheels of the carts made by the cartwright.

The children

Route de Segré

Children played a lot in the village of Andigné. For example, they organised games of « Grand Couteau »: a designated child had to find all the others hidden in the village. The last one caught was « cut up » to feed the others! Imagine the children hiding in the alleys or in the workshops of the craftsmen!

The school in Andigné / L'école d'Andigné

Since the Jules Ferry laws of 1881-1882, school has been secular, free and compulsory. At the beginning of the 20th century, the village of Andigné did not have a public school and there was only a private mixed school.

Two primary schools

The Sisters’ School

The present Sacred Heart School has existed since 1913 and has welcomed up to 120 pupils. The nuns taught the classes and lived in the school. The pupils came from the various surrounding villages.

The public school

A private house, located near the chapel of Saint Eutrope, served as a mixed public school in the 1910s. Little used, it was closed in 1937, reopened in 1954 and closed in 1990.

Sport in the school

Since the end of the 19th century, gymnastics at school has been compulsory. For the Third Republic, having a strong body made it possible to be a good citizen and even a good soldier! In the 1920s, sport at school had a mainly hygienic aim. Sports classes were held exclusively outdoors, every day, for both girls and boys.

Around the village / Autour du bourg

Andigné station

Train arriving at Andigné station

Despite the discontent of some inhabitants who had their land expropriated, the line between Segré and Angers passed through Andigné and a station was built a little way from the town in the 1870s. Disused since the 1950s, the station has been restored and maintained in its original state by the current owners.

The English port

Bridge over the river Oudon

A few hundred metres from the village is the Port aux Anglais. The inhabitants of the village could wash their clothes, fish, water their animals or spend a Sunday with their families here. The name of this passageway comes from an old cloth market where textile products were shipped to Great Britain.

The Oudon

The Port aux Anglais

The washerwomen could bring their washing in wheelbarrows and use a boiler on the spot to boil it with ash. Once rinsed, the washing was dried in the nearby meadow. The women could meet the peasants who came to fill a « tonne », a 500-litre barrel mounted on the wheel and pulled by a horse. The water collected allowed them to water their animals when the ponds were dry.

The castle

Saint Hénis

The castle of Saint Hénis was the residence of the lordly family of Andigné from the 13th century to the 17th century. Then, different great Angevin families succeeded one another in living there and it was restored in the 19th century. It is composed of fortifications, gardens, common buildings, a chapel and a dwelling. The d’Andigné family was an important noble family close to the royal power.

The land of Andigné / Les terres d'Andigné

Around the village of Andigné, there used to be many farms and small agricultural plots, separated by hedges. Today, with mechanisation, there are far fewer hedges and the fields are much larger.

The church of Andigné / L'église d'Andigné

A first church was located in the heart of the village, probably built in the 12th century. No trace of it remains today.

The church of Saint-Aubin d’Andigne was burnt down at the end of the 17th century. Covered with a temporary thatched roof, it was rebuilt in the 9th century in a neo-medieval style.

The processions

The church and religious festivals were the rhythm of the villagers’ lives. The 400 inhabitants of Andigné at the beginning of the 20th century went to mass. When the bells rang 30 minutes before mass, everyone set off for the church.

There were three processions every year: the procession of the Holy Sacrament, the procession of the Sacred Heart and the procession of the Holy Virgin on 15 August. The villagers decorated the streets with flowers.

The battle of Andigné

On 8 March 1796, a group of Chouans (royalists during the Vendée Wars) led by General d’Andigné ambushed a group of Republicans.

Some of them took refuge in the church. The Chouans set fire to it in order to dislodge them. Several dozen Republicans were killed that day.


Der Rathausplatz / La place, la mairie et l'école publique

Eine „Rathaus-Schule“

Rathaus der Stadt Le Lion

Das imposante Rathaus wurde in den 1850er Jahren gebaut. In diesem Gebäude befanden sich damals: die Jungenschule, das „Asyl“ (=Kindergarten), das Rathaus, das Friedensgericht und das Büro des Telegrafen.

Vor 1859 waren die Jungenschule und das Bürgermeisteramt, der Gerichtsvollzieher und  der Notarschreiber von Le Lion im Haus Deslandes untergebracht.

Die Jungenschule

Schüler auf dem Rathausplatz beim Verlassen der Schule

Auf diesem alten Foto kann man sehen, wie die Schüler  aus der Schule kommen. Im 19. Jahrhundert gab es etwa 110 Schüler in dieser Schule. Rund 20 Mädchen waren in einem Haus im Dorf untergebracht.
Das Rathaus lag in der Mitte, die Jungenschule links, und der Kindergarten auf der rechten Seite. Der Schulhof und der überdachte Pausenhof befanden sich dahinter, in den heutigen Gärten des Rathauses.



In den frühen 1920er Jahren ließen fast alle Städte in Frankreich ein Denkmal für die Toten errichten, um die, zwischen 1914 und 1918 an der Front Gefallenen, zu würdigen. Ursprünglich mit einem bronzenen Hahn gekrönt, wurde das Kriegerdenkmal von Le Lion am 10. Juli 1921, einem heißen Tag, eingeweiht. Der Hahn, den man auf dem Foto sieht, wurde einige Jahre später entfernt.

Der Platz

Eine Ecke vom Rathausplatz

Diese Ecke des Rathausplatzes, die in Richtung der Hauptstraße und der Kirche liegt, hat sich seit dem Beginn des Jahrhunderts kaum verändert.

Die Gebäude sind leicht zu erkennen. Auf dem Eckhaus ist eine Reklame für Dubonnet (Marke eines alkoholischen Getränks) direkt auf die Wand gemalt und immer gut sichtbar. Wenn Sie durch das Dorf gehen, werden Sie Spuren dieser alten Werbespots bemerken!

Die Waschboote / Les bâteaux-lavoirs

Die Waschboote

Blick auf die Kaianlagen

„Die Waschboote tauchten am Anfang des 19. Jahrhunderts entlang der Flüsse auf.

Auf der Maine gab es im Jahr 1880 18 «Wäscherinnenboote» und 32 zu Beginn des Ersten Weltkriegs.

Mit dem Bau der städtischen Waschhäuser verringerte sich ihre Anzahl, bis sie nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg schließlich ganz verschwanden.“

Drei Waschanlagen

Quai d‘Anjou am Oudon

„In Le Lion d‘Angers gab es bis zu drei Waschboote, zwei davon am Quai d‘Anjou. Sie waren jeweils 25 Meter lang und 5 Meter breit und ermöglichten dank drei mit Holz beheizten Waschkesseln die Arbeit von sechs bis acht Waschfrauen gleichzeitig.“

Die Waschfrauen

Wäscherinnen auf dem Kai

Alle Frauen kamen, um auf dem Boot die Wäsche ihrer Familie zu reinigen. Einige von ihnen waren von Beruf Wäscherin und arbeiteten für große Familien oder Unternehmen.

Die Arbeit der Wäscherinnen war sehr schwierig. Für bestimmte große Wäschestücke (Vorhänge etc.) mussten sie sich gegenseitig helfen.

Ein Ort der Geselligkeit

Waschboot vor der Kirche in Le Lion

„Die Waschboote waren ein Treffpunkt für die

Frauen. Sie konnten arbeiten und sich dabei unterhalten. Somit war die Arbeit weniger anstrengend.

«[ich habe] noch immer das Schlagen der Bleuel (Schlagbrett)  und die Aufschreie und das weibliche Lachen im Ohr » berichtet eine Nachbarin am Anfang des Jahrhunderts.“

Der Hafen „Port d’Anjou“ / Le port d'Anjou

Die Laderäume

Beladen eines Schiffes am Quai d‘Anjou

„Auf dem Quai d‘Anjou befanden sich zwei gegenüberliegende Laderäume, die mit den Docks gebaut wurden.
Die Laderäume von Le Lion d‘Angers werden als „mit Tränke“ bezeichnet: Sie stammen aus dem 18. Jahrhundert und sind wie regelmäßige und gepflasterte Gefälle. Sie werden im 19. Jahrhundert erweitert, damit  eine Höchstmenge an Gütern bevorratet werden kann.“

Die Waren

Beladen von Gütern auf eine Ladefläche

„Sehr viele „Gabares“ (Flachbodenboote) fuhren durch Le Lion d‘Angers. Auf dem Quai d‘Anjou gab es einst 3 Lagerzonen und etwa vierzig Kategorien von Waren waren geliefert : Brennholz und Gerüst, Stroh, Futter, Tuffstein, Schiefer, Sand von der Loire.“

Die Gebühren

Blick aus dem Kai

„Jede Ware, die von den Docks von Le Lion ausgeladen war, wurde von der Gemeinde besteuert. Die Beträge waren von dem Landratsamt festgelegt. Zum Beispiel, im Jahre 1894 kostete die Ausladung von einem leeren Fass 0.05 frs und 1m3 Schliffstein kostete 0.50 frs.“ (1€ war ca. 0,15 frs im Jahre 2000)

Der Steinbruch „Carrière du bec“

Gabare am „Bec d’Oudon“

„Die schwersten Materialien wurden auf den Quai d‘Anjou geliefert. Die Steine des Steinbruchs am Bec d’Oudon (Zusammenfluss von Mayenne und Oudon) wurden für den Bau der Kirche verwendet.“

Die Pferderennen von Le Lion / Les courses hippiques

„L’Isle-Briand, ein 187 Hektar großer Departementspark, ist  vom Oudon und der Mayenne eingerahmt. Er beherbergt die Pferderennbahn von Le Lion d‘Angers, deren Ursprünge bis ins 19. Jahrhundert zurückreichen!

Mehrere Jahrzehnte  lang haben zwei Pferderenn-Vereinigungen nebeneinander existiert : die 1890 gegründete Société des Courses du Lion d’Angers und die 1922 gegründete Société Hippique Lionnaise.“

Eine Tradition in Le Lion

2 Pferderennvereinigungen

Am Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts veranstaltet die lokale Aristokratie die ersten Trab- und Galopprennen. Später gründet das Festkomitee seine eigene Pferderennvereinigung, die diesmal Handwerker, Händler und Bauern zusammenbringt. Wenn sie sich auf dem Markt trafen, fuhren sie mit Kutschen um die Wette.

Die Fusion

1945 fusionieren die beiden Vereinigungen und die Pferderennbahn von Le Lion d‘Angers wird auf der Isle Briand am Ufer des Flusses Oudon gegründet. Seitdem finden in Le Lion zahlreiche Pferderennen von internationalem Ruf statt, wie z.B. der „Mondial du Lion“ (Oktober).

Die Aktivitäten am Hafen / Les activités du port

Der Oudon fließt etwa 100 Kilometer, bevor er am Bec d’Oudon, nur wenige Kilometer von hier, in den Fluss Mayenne mündet. Dank 3 Schleusen konnten die Schiffe auf dem Oudon, zwischen Segré und dem Fluss Mayenne hin- und herfahren / verkehren. Zwei Häfen ermöglichten die Anlieferung der Waren in Le Lion d‘Angers.

Zwei Häfen und eine Brücke

1  Der Hafen „Port Thibault“

Flussaufwärts von der Brücke gab es den Port Thibault. Die Schiffer brachten auf den „Gabares“ dorthin Getreide: Gabares = Große Schiffe mit flachem Boden, die den Transport von Gütern ermöglichten.

2  Der Hafen „Port d’Anjou“

Flussabwärts befindet sich der Port d‘Anjou. Dorthin brachten die Schiffer schwere Materialien wie Loire-Sand, oder Steine aus dem Steinbruch, der sich an der Mündung des Oudon befand. Es gab auch einen Schiffszimmermann.

Der Hafen „Port Thibault“ / Le port Thibault

Der Kai „Quai de Bretagne“

Blick von der Hauptstraße aus

„Der Port Thibault lag flussaufwärts von der Brücke, am Quai de Bretagne.

Auf diesem Foto sieht man das Hotel des Voyageurs, einen Karren, Spaziergänger, ein Waschboot. . . Stellen Sie sich vor, welches Treiben dort herrschen konnte!“

Die „Fûtreaux“

Der Port Thibault

„Auf diesem Foto vom Port Thibault sieht man ein Waschboot, einen Lastenkahn im Hintergrund und kleine Boote, die vor Ort benutzt wurden: die Fûtereaux.

Diese kleinen Lastkähne waren etwa zehn Meter lang und manchmal mit einem Vierecksegel ausgestattet.“

Die „Gabares“

Blick auf die Brücke

„Die Gabares, große Lastenkähne, die für den Gütertransport benutzt wurden, hatten Schwierigkeiten, unter der Brücke von Le Lion d‘Angers durchzufahren.
Auf Grund einer Petition wurde die Brücke am Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts erhöht, so dass man auch im Winter, wenn der Wasserspiegel stieg, durchfahren konnte.“

Die Ufer des Oudon

Blick aus den „Prairies de la Roche »

„An den Ufern des Flusses konnte man viele Leute  antreffen: Spaziergänger, Fischer und vor allem die Treidler. Diese zogen die Lastenkähne, mit Hilfe von Seilen und der Kraft von Tieren  (Ochsen oder Pferde) auf Treidelpfaden flussaufwärts.“

Die Schule Sainte-Claire / L'école Sainte-Claire

1837 wurde in Le Lion d‘Angers eine Schule gegründet, die von den Schwestern der l’instruction chrétienne de Saint-Gildas-des-Bois (Frauen-Orden) geleitet wurde. Die heutigen Gebäude wurden ganz am Anfang des 20. Jahrhunderts errichtet.

Erinnerungen aus Le Lion d‘Angers

1902 wurden in der Rue Candaise ein Kindergarten, eine Mädchengrundschule und eine private Grundschule eingerichtet. Bis 1967 waren die Klassen nicht gemischt. Folglich gab es  für die  Jungen einen Schulleiter und für Mädchen eine Schulleiterin.

1  Das Klassenzimmer

In der ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts wurden die Klassenräume mit Holzöfen beheizt. Die Kinder mussten die Holzarbeit verrichten und sich um das Feuer kümmern.

2  Das Programm

Zusätzlich zu den Fächern, die es heute gibt, hatten die Schüler viele praktische Aufgaben: eine Sicherung austauschen, jemanden pflegen, im Garten arbeiten, kochen, nähen, basteln usw.

In der Schule gab es keine Kantine. Wenn die Kinder zu weit weg wohnten, aßen sie draußen oder im Klassenzimmer ein mitgebrachtes Vesper!

Zur Schule kommen

Die Kinder arbeiteten oft mit ihren Eltern auf dem Bauernhof! Sie kamen zu Fuß oder mit dem Fahrrad und manchmal kamen sie zu spät.

Im Sommer wie im Winter liefen die Schulkinder mehrere Kilometer zu Fuß, bevor sie sich hinter ihr hölzernes Pult setzten.

Eines Tages kam ein Schüler zu spät, weil er: “ das Stroh für die Tiere erneuern und die Schweine einfangen musste!“ (Aussage/ Niederschrift eines Schulleiters aus der Zeit zwischen 1967 und 1999)

Die Bahngleise / La voie ferrée

Der Bahnhof von Le Lion d‘Angers wurde 1878 im selben Jahr wie die Bahnstrecke Segré-Angers gebaut.

Das 38 km lange Gleis wurde 1955 abgebaut. Heute gibt es nur noch wenige Spuren vom Eisenbahnverkehr in Le Lion.

1  Der Bahnhof

 Heute ist er verschwunden, er befand sich an der Kreuzung der Avenue des Tilleuls und des Place Léon Cochard.

2  Die Bahnwärter

 Sie sorgten für die Sicherheit der Bahnübergänge und wohnten in einem kleinen Haus an der Eisenbahnlinie.

Das Bahnhofsviertel / Le quartier de la gare

Der Bahnwärter

Haus des Bahnwärters

„Der Bahnwärter lebte in einem kleinen Haus in der Nähe des Bahnübergangs. Dieser Posten wurde oft mit den Frauen der Eisenbahnarbeiter besetzt. Sie hielten Tag und Nacht Wache und meldeten jede Art von Vorfällen: Beschädigungen an den Gleisanlagen, Rauchentwicklung, usw. Sie waren dafür verantwortlich, dass die Schranken bei jeder Zugüberfahrt geschlossen waren. Bei einem Unfall auf dem Gleis mussten sie mit einer Fackel mehrere hundert Meter davor warnen!“

Das Hotel

Das Bahnhofshotel

„Bei den wichtigsten Pferderennen brachte ein großer Sonderzug die Besucher nach Le Lion d’Angers und dann war die Stadt mit Leben erfüllt. In den 1920er Jahren füllten sich die fünf Hotels der Stadt. Sie lagen an der Hauptstraße, in der Nähe des Bahnhofs oder auf der Straße nach Angers – für Reisende ideal gelegen! Auf diesem alten Foto kann man den Namen des Besitzers sehen: Houdebine.“

Die Bahnhofstraße

Avenue des Tilleuls

„Die Avenue de la Gare (heute Avenue des Tilleuls) hat sich sehr verändert, da das Bahnhofsgebäude nicht mehr existiert. Dennoch kann man einige Häuser und eine Barriere aus Beton im Holzimitat erkennen, die Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts sehr populär war. Sie wurde mit „rocaille“ oder „rusticage“ bezeichnet.

Der Bahnhof

Ein  Zug im Bahnhof in Le Lion d’Angers

„In jedem kleinen Bahnhof gab es einen Bahnhofsvorsteher, seinen Stellvertreter und zwei Beamte, die jeden Tag ein paar Züge vorbeifahren sahen. Für den Betrieb von Dampflokomotiven, wurden vier Personen benötigt: ein Mechaniker, ein Lokführer, ein Zugführer und ein Rangierarbeiter. Bei der Rückfahrt nach Angers hatten die Lokomotiven große Schwierigkeiten, den Hang des «Grosse Pierre» hinaufzufahren und spuckten eine mächtige Rauchwolke aus!“

Aktivitäten auf der Hauptstraße / Les activités de la grande rue

Die untere Straße

Blick auf die Hauptstraße von der Brücke aus

„Die Straße beginnt am Ende der Brücke über den Oudon, wo sich das Hôtel des Voyageurs befindet. Zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts gab es in dieser Straße 3 Hotels (Hotel des Voyageurs, Hotel des 3 Marchands, Hotel du Cheval Blanc). In einer Zeit, in der die Reisen sehr lang waren, war Lion d‘Angers eine Zwischenstation, in der die Reisenden die Nacht verbrachten, bevor sie nach Angers oder Paris weiterreisten.“

Die Cafés


„Dieses Foto wurde an der Ecke der Hauptstraße und der Rue St. Gatien gemacht. Der Balkon ist noch immer da!

Sie können mehrere Cafés sehen: das Café Gasnier und das Café d’Anjou stehen sich gegenüber. 1922 gab es 16 Cafés für etwas mehr als 2000 Einwohner!“

Die Geschäfte

Der Laden Saulou

„In der Hauptstraße befanden sich sehr viele Geschäfte: Apotheker, Bäcker, Metzger, Friseur, Haushalts- und Eisenwarenhandlung, Fahrradverkäufer, Schuster usw. Hier gab es alles.

Auf diesem Foto sieht man den Hutladen SAULOU, der sich in der Hausnummer 25 befindet.

Die Handwerker

An der Kreuzung mit dem Kirchplatz

„Auf diesem Foto, das an der Ecke des Kirchplatzes aufgenommen wurde, ist ein Karren zu sehen. In Le Lion d‘Angers arbeiteten viele Handwerker. Einige dieser Berufe sind heute verschwunden! Es gab z. B. die Wagner, die Wagenräder herstellten, die Böttcher für die Holzfässer, die Klempner für Arbeiten aus Blech, die Sattler für die Herstellung von Pferdegeschirr, Taschen, Riemen und Sätteln usw.“

Das religiöse Leben / La vie religieuse

Die religiösen Prozessionen waren große Feste. Sie versammelten früher die gesamte Bevölkerung in einer festlichen Atmosphäre. Die wichtigsten Feste  waren Fronleichnam und das Fest Jeanne d’Arc. Wagen, Blumen, Musik. . . die ganze Stadt zog durch die Straßen und um die Kirche herum, mit deren Bau im XI. Jahrhundert begonnen wurde!

Die Kirche St Martin de Vertou

Das Kirchenschiff und das Querschiff wurden im 11. Jahrhundert im romanischen Stil erbaut. Die einfache Kirche, die am Anfang von einem Benediktinerkloster abhängig war, ist sehr nüchtern, mit wenigen Fenstern und Ausschmückungen.

Der neugotische Chor stammt aus dem späten 19. Jahrhundert: Beachten Sie die Rosetten und die großen Fenster.

Der Kirchturm

In der Nacht vom 4. auf den 5. Mai 1918 schlägt der Blitz in die Kirche ein und löst einen Brand aus. Er zerstört die Spitze des Glockenturms.

Die Kirche blieb viele Jahre ohne Glockenturm. Die Spitze wurde 1997 wieder aufgebaut, um dem Gebäude seinen vollen Glanz zurückzugeben.

  1. Accueil
  2. « Fil vert » path
En 1 clic

En un clic